I’ve just come back from the most amazing journey travelling through Southern Africa. For 12 days we travelled through Botswana, Zambia and South Africa. I was awe inspired at the wildlife, the culture, the languages, the cuisine and the land. It was a fascinating trip of fun, adventure and self-discovery. I could go on and on, but below I’ve listed the top five reasons why you’ll fall in love with Southern Africa too.
- WILDLIFE SAFARIS: While in Botswana we went on a game view safari and a river safari. Getting up at 5:30 in the morning was worth it to see all the amazing animals right in their natural habitat. We saw impalas, buffaloes, hippos, crocodiles, giraffes, baboons – all animals that I’ve only seen on TV. The coolest moment was when we saw a crocodile rip the head off a mongoose. You’ll never see that in a zoo.
- GETTING IN TOUCH WITH NATURE: We stayed in all levels of accommodations while we travelled through the three countries. But out of all the places we stayed, the tree house was my favourite spot. It was awesome! Of course, I woke with a grasshopper next to me, but being in the bushes, surrounded by wildlife and nature was just an amazing experience. It forces you to strip down to the bare necessities and just be yourself.
- THRILLING ADVENTURES: I am not a thrill-seeker by nature, but my guy certainly is. While in Southern Africa he went microlight flying and did Devil’s Pool in Zambia. While in South Africa he did abseiling down Table Mountain in Cape Town and shark cage diving. If you love adventurous holidays, you’d love Africa. You could also go sky diving, white water rafting, para-gliding and bungee jumping.
- WORLD-CLASS CUISINE: We tried lots of interesting and delicious dishes on our trip. We had great fresh fish in Botswana, crocodile ribs in Zambia and ostrich burgers in South Africa. South Africa especially has an amazing and diverse selection of restaurants. Even if you don’t feel like being adventurous on the cuisine side, you can still enjoy Western favourites like beef sliders, pizza and chicken. If you love a cold beer every now and again, South Africa also has a great selection of locally brewed beer.
- CULTURE AND HISTORY: As you can imagine, Africa is steeped in history and culture. I was awe inspired at the wildlife, the culture, the languages, the cuisine and the land. But most importantly I was amazed by all the interesting people we met. It was great to speak with the local people about their country. Everyone is very proud. They spoke highly of the late Nelson Mandela and spoke honestly of some of the challenges facing them ahead. When we went wine tasting in Cape Town, I was able to see some great pieces of art. We listened to a group of men, singing tribal songs of praise and worship. The whole experience was really surreal.
You will absolutely fall in love with Southern Africa. Whether you are looking for wildlife, adventure, culture, or self-discovery, you’ll never find more breathtaking beauty, landscapes, wildlife and world-class cuisine anywhere else in the world like you will in Southern Africa. The happiness and smiles of each local we met made us love the land even more. We can’t wait to go back!
If you’d like to see more photos from our trip, please browse through my online travel diary.
Images via Like, Wutever