Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays during the regular season are my favourite days — game days. Off season is the worst. But the Superbowl is the highlight of the year.
When it comes to snacks and eats — during the regular season on game day Sundays, we usually have a nice dinner and share a yummy dessert. But on game day for Superbowl, we up the ante and pull out all the stops.
This year — I’m making homemade guacamole and baked tortilla chips. I trial tested this recipe a couple weeks back for NFL Wildcard Weekend and it turned out so well that it’ll be the marquee appetizer on game day for Superbowl Sunday.
You can make this guac smooth or chunky depending on what you fancy. Tasty baked tortilla chips that you make at home are much better than store bought chips. If you’re looking for a healthy snack option that you can make at home, try these recipes below for Superbowl guacamole and baked tortilla chips.
- 3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
- 1 (12 ounces) package corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cut each tortilla into 8 chip-sized wedges and arrange the wedges in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- In a spray mister, combine the oil and lime juice. Mix well and spray each tortilla wedge until slightly moist.
- Combine the cumin, chili powder and salt in a small bowl and sprinkle on the chips.
- Bake for about 7 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 8 minutes or until the chips are crisp, but not too brown.
- Serve with the guacamole.
Whether you are team New England Patriots or team Atlanta Falcons, snack healthy and enjoy the game.
Recipes provided by All Recipes Canada; Image via Food Panda Magazine